kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Arrondissements of the Pyrénées-Orientales department
There are 3 arrondissements in the Pyrénées-Orientales department. The French departments, and in other countries, are divided into arrondissements, which may be translated into English as districts (in some cases, as boroughs). The capital of an arrondissement is called a subprefecture.
If the prefecture (capital) of the department is in an arrondissement, that prefecture is the capital of the arrondissement, acting both as a prefecture and as a subprefecture.
The arrondissements of Pyrénées-Orientales are:
- Arrondissement of Céret, (subprefecture: Céret), with 5 cantons and 40 communes.
- Arrondissement of Perpignan, (prefecture of the Pyrénées-Orientales department: Perpignan), with 20 cantons and 86 communes.
- Arrondissement of Prades, (subprefecture: Prades), with 6 cantons and 100 communes.
Since its creation, the Pyrénées-Orientales department, first with the name of Roussillon, has had few changes:
- 1790 : creation of the department with three districts: Perpignan, Prades, Cèret
- 1800 : creation of the arrondissements: Perpignan, Prades, Cèret
- "Liste des arrondissement du département des Pyrénées-Orientales" (in French). Institut national de la statistique et des études économiques - INSEE. http://www.insee.fr/fr/methodes/nomenclatures/cog/arrdep.asp?codedep=66. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- "Historique des Pyrénées-Orientales" (in French). Le SPLAF. http://splaf.free.fr/dep.php?depnum=66. Retrieved 4 August 2013.