kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Battle of Bosworth Field
|Battle of Bosworth Field|
|Part of the Wars of the Roses|
|King Richard III of England, House of York||Henry Tudor, Earl of Richmond, Lancastrians French Mercenaries|
|Commanders and leaders|
|Richard III of England†||Earl of Richmond
Earl of Oxford
The Battle of Bosworth or Bosworth Field was an important battle during the Wars of the Roses in 15th century England. It was fought on 22 August 1485 between the Yorkist King Richard III, the last of the Plantagenet dynasty, and the Lancastrian Henry Tudor, 2nd Earl of Richmond, who wanted to become king. It ended in the defeat and death of Richard and the beginning of the Tudor dynasty. Historically, the battle is thought to have marked the end of the Wars of the Roses, although further battles were fought in the years that followed as Yorkists unsuccessfully tried to become king again.
- Bosworth 1485: A Battlefield Rediscovered by Glenn Foard and Anne Curry (2013: forthcoming) - The archaeology of the battle
- Bosworth: The Birth of the Tudors by Chris Skidmore (2013) - Overview of the battle in its historical context
- Battle Story: Bosworth 1485 by Mike Ingram (2011) - Analysis of the battle by a military expert
- Bosworth Battlefield visitor info
- Richard III Society, American Branch with maps, photos, articles presenting several competing theories situating the battle
- The Battle of Bosworth
- Bosworth Roll Call Officers there on the day.