kidzsearch.com > wiki
Battle of Bosworth Field
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:WPMILHIST Infobox style' not found. The Battle of Bosworth or Bosworth Field was an important battle during the Wars of the Roses in 15th century England. It was fought on 22 August 1485 between the Yorkist King Richard III, the last of the Plantagenet dynasty, and the Lancastrian Henry Tudor, 2nd Earl of Richmond, who wanted to become king. It ended in the defeat and death of Richard and the beginning of the Tudor dynasty. Historically, the battle is thought to have marked the end of the Wars of the Roses, although smaller battles were fought in the years that followed as Yorkists unsuccessfully tried to become king again.
The place of the battle is not precisely known. Memorials have been built in some of the possible locations.
- Bosworth 1485: A Battlefield Rediscovered by Glenn Foard and Anne Curry (2013: forthcoming) - The archaeology of the battle
- Bosworth: The Birth of the Tudors by Chris Skidmore (2013) - Overview of the battle in its historical context
- Battle Story: Bosworth 1485 by Mike Ingram (2011) - Analysis of the battle by a military expert
- Bosworth Battlefield visitor info
- Richard III Society, American Branch with maps, photos, articles presenting several competing theories situating the battle
- The Battle of Bosworth Archived 2010-05-07 at the Wayback Machine
- Bosworth Roll Call Archived 2006-12-31 at the Wayback Machine Officers there on the day.