kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
|Full name||Bernhard Carl Trautmann|
|Date of birth||22 October 1923|
|Place of birth||Bremen, Germany|
|Date of death||19 July 2013(aged 89)|
|Place of death||La Llosa, Valencia, Spain|
|1948–1949||St Helens Town||43||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.|
† Appearances (Goals).
Bernhard Carl "Bert" Trautmann, OBE (22 October 1923 – 19 July 2013) was a German footballer. He played from 1949 to 1964 for Manchester City as the keeper. Trautmann is in Germany nearly unknown and had never played in the national team of his country. But in Manchester, he is one of the most popular players.
Bert Trautmann was born on 22 October 1923. He began playing football at age 10, when he was 18 he had to go to do his military service for the German Nazi-Regime. The paratrooper was first imprisoned by the Sowiet, later by the British army. He did not leave the island after his shank and became a professional football player.
After some years he went to Manchester City. In the first time, the fans hate the "Nazi boy". But after the 1956 FA Cup final, the fans accept Trautmann as a good player for their team. At the 75th minute of this game, Trautmann was hit by a player from Birmingham. The crash broke his neck, but Trautmann finished the game. Today it's often called a medical miracle that Trautmann did not die at this day.
Just a few days Trautmann's medical miracle, his five years old son died in a car crash. In 1950 he had married the first time, in 1990 again. In the year 2004 he was honored by Queen Elizabeth II.
Trautmann died on 19 July 2013 from a possible case of heart failure after suffering two cases of heart attacks recently. He was 89 years old.
- "05.05.1956 Bert Trautmann breaks his neck". The Guardian (London). 6 May 2006. http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2006/may/06/sport.comment1. Retrieved 17 August 2008.
- "Manchester City legend Bert Trautmann dies aged 89". BBC Sport. 19 July 2013. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23375452. Retrieved 19 July 2013.
- The Trautmann Foundation
- Bert Trautmann, video clip of FA cup Final 1956: BBC Motion Gallery
- English Football Hall of Fame profile
- Bert Trautmann in the Museum of Goalkeeping
- Bert Trautmann @ Goalkeeping Greats