kidzsearch.com > wiki
|Latin: Universitas Brunensis|
|Motto||In Deo Speramus (Latin)|
|Motto in English||In God We Hope|
|Endowment||US$ 2.5 Billion|
|Chancellor||Thomas J. Tisch|
|President||Dr. Christina Hull Paxson|
|Postgraduates||2,333 (410 medical)|
|Location||Providence, Rhode Island, United States|
143 acres (579,000 m²)
Seal brown |
37 varsity teams|
NCAA Division I
Brown University is an American private Ivy League research university in Providence, Rhode Island, United States and is a member of the Ivy League. It was founded in 1764 as the College in the English Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, early in the reign of King George III (1760–1820) and before American independence from the British Empire. Brown is the third oldest institution of higher education in New England and seventh oldest in the United States.
Brown is ranked as the 14th national university behind Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Stanford, University of Chicago, Duke, MIT, University of Pennsylvania, Cal Tech, Dartmouth, Johns Hopkins, and Northwestern. Brown was the first college in the country to accept students of any religion.
It is the second last ranked Ivy League University with Cornell being the last.
- Brown University Admission Facts and Figures
- "Endowment jumps to $2.5 billion in year of high returns'". http://www.browndailyherald.com/endowment-jumps-to-2-5-billion-in-year-of-high-returns-1.2656840#.TsBPCMIhFaq.
- "Faculty and Employees". http://www.brown.edu/about/facts/faculty-and-employees.
- "Facts about Brown University". Brown University. http://www.brown.edu/web/about/facts/enrollment. Retrieved 26 January 2011.
- "Encyclopedia Brunoniana | Bicentennial celebration". Brown University. http://www.brown.edu/Administration/News_Bureau/Databases/Encyclopedia/search.php?serial=B0180. Retrieved 9 July 2009.
- "Get to Know Us: Our History". Brown University Admission Office. http://www.brown.edu/Administration/Admission/gettoknowus/ourhistory.html.