kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
|Ernesto Guevara de la Serna|
Che Guevara's image
June 14, 1928
Rosario, Santa Fe, Argentina
October 9, 1967 (aged 39)|
La Higuera, Vallegrande, Bolivia
Ernesto "Che" Guevara, commonly known as el Che or Che (June 14, 1928 - October 9, 1967) was an Argentine Marxist, revolutionary, physician, author, guerrilla, diplomat, and military theorist. He was a communist. He is popular with socialists. In addition to that he was an excellent writer and some of his articles and speeches were even published.
Che Guevara was born in Rosario, Argentina in 1928. He studied at the University of Buenos Aires. He wanted to be a doctor. During his holidays, he traveled. He saw how poor some people were. He thought that revolution could fix it.
After college, he went to Mexico. He met Fidel Castro there in 1954. Castro was planning a communist rebellion in Cuba. Guevara joined Castro. He fought with Castro in Cuba. In 1959, Fidel won and became president of Cuba. Guevara was made head of Cuba's bank. He later became Minister of Industry. In 1965, Guevara helped to start other revolutions. They were in Congo-Kinshasa and Bolivia. He was captured in Bolivia. The Bolivian Army killed him in 1967. His body was not found until 1997.
Che in popular culture
People have different opinions on Che Guevara. Some see him as a good leader. In addition to that he was an excellent writer and some of his articles and speeches were even published. Others see him as a bad man who wanted to hurt people. A black and white image of Guevara's face is one of the most merchandized images. It can be found on many items. They include t-shirts, hats, posters, and other items. The image was based on a photograph by Alberto Korda Díaz. Díaz was a Cuban photographer. It was taken in 1960.
A movie, ''The Motorcycle Diaries'', is about Che. It describes a trip that he took through South America. The trip took place in the 1950's. The movie was directed by Walter Salles. It was produced by Robert Redford.
- "Che Guevara Biography" (in English). Biography.com. 2006. http://www.biography.com/articles/Che-Guevara-9322774. Retrieved 2010-03-05.
- Maryland Institute of Art, referenced at BBC News, "Che Guevara photographer dies", 26 May 2001. Online at BBC News, accessed January 4, 2006.
- BBC News May 26, 2001
- see also Che Guevara (photo)
- Lacey, Marc (October 9, 2007). "A Revolutionary Icon and now a Bikini" (in English). New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/09/world/americas/09che.html?_r=2&oref=slogin. Retrieved 2010-03-05.
- BBC News 2007.
- O'Hagan 2004.
- "The Motorcycle Diaries" (in English). http://www.motorcyclediariesmovie.com/home.html. Retrieved 2009-12-20.
- BBC News (January 17, 2001). "Profile: Laurent Kabila". Accessed April 10, 2008.
- BBC News (May 26, 2001). Che Guevara photographer dies. Accessed January 4, 2006.
- BBC News (October 9, 2007). "Cuba pays tribute to Che Guevara". BBC News, International version.
- Lacey, Mark (October 26, 2007). "Lone Bidder Buys Strands of Che's Hair at U.S. Auction". New York Times.
- Lacey, Mark (October 9, 2007). "A Revolutionary Icon, and Now, a Bikini". The New York Times.
- O'Hagan, Sean (July 11, 2004). "Just a pretty face?". The Guardian. Accessed October 25, 2006.