kidzsearch.com > wiki
|United States Secretary of Defense|
|Assumed office |
February 27, 2013
|Preceded by||Leon Panetta|
| United States Senator|
January 3, 1997 – January 3, 2009
|Preceded by||James Exon|
|Succeeded by||Mike Johanns|
|Born|| Charles Timothy Hagel|
October 4, 1946
North Platte, Nebraska, U.S.
|Spouse(s)|| Patricia Lloyd (1979-82)|
Lilibet Hagel (1985-present)
|Alma mater|| Brown College|
University of Nebraska at Omaha
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Years of service||1967–1968|
|Unit|| 2nd Battalion, 47th Infantry Regiment|
9th Infantry Division
|Awards|| Purple Heart (2)|
Army Commendation Medal
Vietnamese Gallantry Cross
Combat Infantryman Badge
Chuck Hagel (// chuk HAY-gəl; born October 4, 1946) is the 24th and current Secretary of Defense and the former U.S. Senator from Nebraska. He is a member of the United States Republican Party. He has criticized the Bush Administration on many things, such as the Iraq War.
In October 2014, speaking at a meeting of defense ministers in Peru, Hagel highlighted a report’s findings of the global security threats of climate change and global warming; stating “The loss of glaciers will strain water supplies in several areas of our hemisphere,” and “Destruction and devastation from hurricanes can sow the seeds for instability. Droughts and crop failures can leave millions of people without any lifeline, and trigger waves of mass migration.”
- Hagel was raised in the Roman Catholic faith; see cached excerpt from Charlyne Berens' biography, Chuck Hagel, which refers to Hagel's parents as "pillars of their Catholic church"; Hagel's father; Charles Hagel had converted to the Catholic faith of his wife. Page 17 of the same work refers to Hagel as "now an Episcopalian."
- "Pronounce - Browse all names for U.S.". VOA News. http://pronounce.voanews.com/browse-oneregion.php?region=U.S.. Retrieved 2013-12-7.
- Pentagon Signals Security Risks of Climate Change October 13, 2014 New York Times
- The Military Takes on Climate Change Deniers October 23, 2014 BusinessWeek
- Memoli, Michael A. (February 26, 2013). "Senate confirms Chuck Hagel as new Defense secretary". Los Angeles Times. http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-senate-confirms-chuck-hagel-defense-secretary-20130226,0,357216.story. Retrieved February 27, 2013.
- Stewart, Phil; Holland, Steve (November 24, 2014). "Hagel, under pressure, resigns as U.S. defense secretary". Reuters. Archived from the original on November 25, 2014. http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/24/us-usa-military-hagel-idUSKCN0J81AK20141124.