kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
The Crimean War (1853–1856), also called the Eastern War (Russian: Восточная война), was a war fought between Russia on one side, and France, the United Kingdom, the Kingdom of Sardinia and the Ottoman Empire on the other side. Most of the fighting happened in the Crimean Peninsula, with other fighting in western Turkey, and around the Baltic Sea.
The Crimean War is sometimes called the first "modern" war, since the weaponry and tactics used had never been seen before and affected all other wars after it. It was also the first war where a telegraph was used to quickly give information to a newspaper.
The Ottoman Empire was declining by the mid-1800s. European countries, which wanted as much land around the world as possible, looked to the Ottoman Empire. The war itself started after the Ottoman Empire said Russia, and not France, had the right to protect the Holy Land near the area of modern-day Israel.
The Crimean War was a very important point in the history of warfare. It was not only different in the weapons it used, it was also the first war related to by press, by photography and journalists. Another very important factor was that it was the first war with real field hospitals, started by Florence Nightingale. The defeat of Russia in the war caused increased development of weaponry and the end of serfdom in 1861.
- Royle. Preface
- "The Crimean War: The war that made Britain 'great’ - Telegraph". telegraph.co.uk. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/8037668/The-Crimean-War-The-war-that-made-Britain-great.html. Retrieved November 17, 2010.
- Hooker, Richard (1999 [last update]). "The Ottomans: European Imperialism and Crisis". wsu.edu. http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~dee/OTTOMAN/EUROPE.HTM. Retrieved April 9, 2011.
- Austria Chronology Crimean War
- France Chronology Crimean War
- Great Britain Chronology Crimean War
- Italy Chronology Crimean War
- Russia Chronology Crimean War
- Turkey Chronology Crimean War