kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
|Motto||"وَقُل رَّبِّ زِدْنِي عِلْمًا" 20:114|
|Motto in English||And say: My Lord, increase me in knowledge (Quran, 20:114).|
|Established||1923 (Medical School in 1903)|
|President||Mohammad Hassan Al Kurdi |
|Admin. staff||2,653 |
|Former names||Syrian University (1923–1958)|
The University of Damascus (Arabic: جامعة دمشق, Jāmi‘atu Dimashq) is the largest and oldest university in Syria, located in the capital Damascus and has campuses in other Syrian cities. It was founded in 1923 through the merger of the School of Medicine (established 1903) and the Institute of Law (established 1913). Until 1958 it was named the Syrian University, but the name changed after the founding of the University of Aleppo. There are nine public universities and more than ten private ones in Syria. Damascus University was one of the most reputable universities in the Middle East before the war in Syria started in 2011.
The University of Damascus consists of several faculties, higher Institutes, intermediate institutes and a school of nursing. One of the institutions specializes in teaching the Arabic language to foreigners, which is the largest institution of its kind in the Arab world.
- "President of Damascus University". Damasuniv.edu.sy. http://damasuniv.edu.sy/english/university-adminstration/president-of-damascus-university. Retrieved 2015-08-25.
- "جامعة دمشق". Mohe.gov.sy. 2012-01-02. http://www.mohe.gov.sy/mohe/index.php?node=5512&cat=2382&. Retrieved 2015-08-25.
-  Archived 14 July 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- Spender, Tom (10 May 2005). "A new 'Mecca of Arabic studies'?". The Christian Science Monitor. http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0510/p14s02-legn.html. Retrieved 31 March 2007.
- [http:// Official website]