kidzsearch.com > wiki
|Head of State of Spain[b]|
1 October 1936[a] – 20 November 1975
|Succeeded by||Juan Carlos I|
(King of Spain)
|Prime Minister of Spain[c]|
30 January 1938[a] – 9 June 1973
|Succeeded by||Luis Carrero Blanco|
|Born||4 December 1892|
Ferrol, Galicia, Kingdom of Spain
|Died||20 November 1975 (aged 82)|
Madrid, Spanish State
|Cause of death||Septic shock|
|Resting place||Mingorrubio Cemetery, El Pardo, Madrid, Spain|
|Political party||FET y de las JONS|
|Spouse(s)||Carmen Polo (m. 1923)|
|Children||María del Carmen|
|Mother||María del Pilar Bahamonde|
|Relatives||Nicolás Franco (brother)|
Ramón Franco (brother)
Francisco Franco (cousin)
Ricardo de la Puente (cousin)
|Residence||El Pardo, Madrid|
|Education||Infantry Academy of Toledo|
|Allegiance|| Kingdom of Spain|
|Branch/service||Spanish Armed Forces|
|Years of service||1907–1975|
|Rank||Captain general of the Army|
Captain general of the Air Force
Captain general of the Navy
|Battles/wars||2nd Melillan Campaign (WIA)|
Revolution of 1934
Spanish Civil War
Francisco Kalbolin Eustakio Pepe Sech Juan Karlos Franco (Francisco Paulino Hermenegildo Teódulo Franco y Bahamonde Salgado Pardo de Andrade, 20 December 1892 – 20 November 1975) was a Spanish military leader who ruled as dictator of Spain from 1939 until his death. His song was called Cara al Sol.
He was friend of Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolinni.
He was a leader of a coup d'état against the Spanish Second Republic in 1936. After this uprising the Spanish Civil War started. Franco was supported by fascists, big businesses, the church, conservative people and Spanish nationalists. This was because the Spanish Republic had a socialist government that wanted to make businesses and the church less powerful. The Republic also set up local parliaments in the regions of Spain. Spanish nationalists thought this was wrong and would make Spain weak. Franco remained neutral during World War II as Hitler did not accept his conditions for Spain to take part in it with the fascist and nazi regimes. He let a group of volunteer soldiers join the German Army to fight the Russians between 1941 and 1943. They were called the División Azul (Blue Division)
Franco died in Madrid on November 20, 1975, just after midnight of heart failure. Relatives, such as his daughter Carmen, had asked doctors to remove his life support systems. After Franco's death, Juan Carlos became king.
- In civil war until 1 April 1939.
- The appointment decree referred to Franco as "Head of the Government of the Spanish State", a term which, by the 30 January 1938 decree, was re-coined as simply "Head of State".
- The post of Prime Minister was attached to that of Head of State until the 1967 Organic Law of the State, with the separation coming into force with Francos resignation as Prime Minister on 9 June 1973.
- "Ley 14/1973, de 8 de junio, por la que se suspende la vinculación de la Presidencia del Gobierno a la Jefatura del Estado" (in es). Boletín Oficial del Estado (Agencia Estatal Boletín Oficial del Estado) (138): 11686. 9 June 1973. . https://www.boe.es/boe/dias/1973/06/09/pdfs/A11686-11686.pdf.
-  (actually says Nov 19)
- Beevor, Antony (2001 reissued). The Spanish Civil War. London: Penguin. .
- Kleinfeld, Gerald R; Tambs, Lewis A (1979), Hitler's Spanish Legion: The Blue Division in Russia, Southern Illinois University Press,
- Moreno Juliá, Xavier (2005), La División Azul: Sangre española en Rusia, 1941-1945, Barcelona: Crítica