kidzsearch.com > wiki
Genryaku (元暦) was a Japanese era name (年号, nengō, , lit. "year name") after Juei and before Bunji. This period started in April 1184 and ended in August 1185. The reigning emperors were Antoku-tennō (安徳天皇) and Go-Toba-tennō (後鳥羽天皇).
Events of the Genryaku era
- 25 April 1185 (Genryaku 2, 24th day of the 3rd month): the Taira (also known as the Heike) and the Minamoto clashed in the Battle of Dan-no-ura; and the Heike are defeated. Antoku drowned at Dan-no-ura.
- 6 August 1185 (Genryaku 2, 9th day of the 7th month): Great earthquake in Kyoto and in the Kinai region.
- Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric. (2005). "Genryaku" in Japan Encyclopedia, p. 239.
- Titsingh, Isaac. (1834). Annales des empereurs du Japon, pp. 207-221; Brown, Delmer et al. (1979). Gukanshō, pp. 334-339; Varley, H. Paul. (1980). Jinnō Shōtōki. pp. 215-220.
- Kitagawa, Hiroshi et al. (1975). The Tale of the Heike, p. 787.
- Kitagawa, pp. 676-677; Imperial Household Agency (Kunaichō), 安徳天皇 (81); retrieved 2012-5-23.
- National Diet Library, "The Japanese Calendar" -- historical overview plus illustrative images from library's collection
|Era or nengō: