kidzsearch.com > wiki
|Full name||Giordano Bruno|
|Main interests||Philosophy & Cosmology|
Giordano Bruno (1548 – 17 February 1600), born Filippo Bruno, was an Italian philosopher, priest, mathematician, and astronomer. He is best known as believing in the infinity of the universe. His cosmological theories went beyond the Copernican model.
Bruno thought the Sun was just one of an infinite number of independently moving heavenly bodies. He is the first man to have thought the stars we see at night are identical in nature to the Sun. For publishing these and other beliefs, he was burnt at the stake as a heretic by the Inquisition of the Roman Catholic Church.
- Holding opinions contrary to the Catholic Faith and speaking against it and its ministers.
- Holding wrong opinions about the Trinity, about Christ's divinity and Incarnation.
- Holding wrong opinions about Christ.
- Holding wrong opinions about Transubstantiation and Mass.
- Claiming the existence of a plurality of worlds and their eternity.
- Believing in the transmigration of the human soul into brutes.
- Dealing in magics and divination.
- Denying the Virginity of Mary.
Bruno did accept and promote Copernicus' idea that the Earth revolves round the Sun. Many believe this was one of main reasons for his downfall; others think his theological beliefs were more critical. In 1584 he published two dialogues which argued for his idea on astronomy. Eight years later he was arrested, and his trial took another eight years. His accusers demanded complete recantation of all his 'erroneous' beliefs. He refused, and went to his death. Later the Inquisition used his example to terrify Galileo into withdrawing his works from publication.
- Yates, Frances A. 1966. The art of memory.
- Firpo, Luigi 1993. Il processo di Giordano Bruno.
- Yates, Frances A. 1964. Giordano Bruno and the hermetic tradition. Chicago.
- De la Causa, Principio, et Uno (1584) Full Italian text, Giordano Bruno.info: Download; De l'infinito Universo et Mondi (1584) Full Italian text, Giordano Bruno.info: Download;