kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Gnosticism comes from the Greek: gnosis which means knowledge.
This is because these religions believe that there is a special, hidden knowledge that only a few people may have.
There are two problems finding out a lot about believers in gnosticism:
- Most Gnostic teachings were secret or hidden (occult);
- Most of what we know about Gnostics come from attacks written by non-Gnostic Christians.
The real God who is good, is distant and not easy to know. In order to get free from the material world, a person has to get gnosis. That is the special secret knowledge given only to a few special people.
Some Gnostic groups saw Jesus as sent by the supreme being, to bring gnosis to the Earth.
- Religious Tolerance - A survey of Gnosticism
- Sacred Wisdom - Gnosticism and Christian Esotericism
- Early Christian Writings - primary texts
- The Gnostic Society Library
- Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy: Gnosticism
- Introduction to Gnosticism
- Jewish Encyclopedia: Gnosticism
- Proto-Gnostic elements in the Gospel according to John
- Gnostic version of the Bible and more on Gnostics
- Catholic Encyclopedia: Gnosticism