kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Guru Nanak Dev
|Guru Nanak Dev|
|Office||The first Sikh gurus|
|Date of birth||November 29, 1469|
|Place of birth||Nankana Sahib, Punjab, Pakistan|
|Date of death||September 22, 1539(aged 70)|
|Place of death||Kartarpur, Punjab, Pakistan|
|Successor||Guru Angad Dev|
|Known for||Creator of Sikhism|
Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji was the creator of Sikhism, and the first of the ten Sikh Guru's. The last Guru said that there would be no more Gurus after him and Sikhs would be taught by the Sikh holy book, which is called Guru Granth Sahib Ji. The word "Guru" means "teacher" in many Indian languages.
Beside followers of Sikhism, Guru Nanak Dev is considered holy by Punjabi Hindus and Sahajdhari Sindhis across the Indian subcontinent. Because of his close connection with Hazrat Sheikh Farid-ud-din Ganj Shakar, the Punjabi Sufi saint, Nanak Dev is also considered by many Muslims to be a Sufi, or adherent of Sufic tenets.
His main teaching to the world was written down to be "devotion of thought and having good actions as the first of our jobs".
When Guru Nanak was a child he refused the upanayana (holy thread) to initiate him into the Hindu religion. Later in his life he married Mata Sulakhani with whom he had two sons. They were called Sri Chand and Lakshmi Das. According to the Sikh religion, one day he was bathing in the river and god took him up to heaven. His family members were very worried as they had thought he died. After three days he returned with the message of god. He gave up his job to spread the message on how to be a good person.
He died in Kartarpur.
- nanak, guru (3.01.2017). "guru nanak". yash m.
- Duggal, Kartar Singh (1988). Philosophy and Faith of Sikhism. Himalayan Institute Press. pp. xxii. .
- Guru Nanak orkut graphics
- Eternal Glory of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji
- Max Arthur MacAuliff, The Sikh Religion, Vol 1, (The Life of Guru Nanak Dev Ji), Oxford University Press, 1909.
- Satguru Nanak Dev Ji In Baghdad
- Satguru Nanak Dev Ji (for Children) - eBook
- Sufis, Philosophers, and Nanak
- A short video documentary summarizing the life of Satguru Nanak Dev Ji