kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
|Elevation||228 m (748 ft)|
|Time zone||Eastern (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||Eastern (UTC-4)|
The city is in the region called Plateau Central about 100 km northeast of Port-au-Prince. It is also the chief town of an arrondissement (a part of a department) with the same name. The arrondissement has four communes (a commune is like a municipality): Hinche, Cerca-Cavajal (Kreyòl: Sèka Kavajal), Maïssade (Kreyòl: Mayisad) and Thomonde (Kreyòl: Tomonn).
Hinche is on the southern limit of the Plateau Central, a long valley between the Massif du Nord, to the north, and the Montagne Noire, to the south.
The city was founded in 1704 with families that came from the Canary Islands; it took the Taíno name of the region: Hincha. The French people changed the name to Hinche but in Spanish it is still Hincha. At that moment, the region was part of the Spanish colony of Santo Domingo (now the Dominican Republic).
After the Haitian Revolution, in the early 19th century, this region became part of the new Republic of Haiti but the Dominican Republic accepted the transfer of the region to Haiti only in 1929.
Bassin Zim, to the east of Hinche, is a beautiful 20 m waterfall, a 30-minute drive from town.
In the city you will also find the Cathédrale de Sacré-Coeur ("Sacred Heart Cathedral").
- Radio Seven Stars
- Radio Super Continentale
- Radyo Leve Kanpe
- Radyo Vwa Peyizan
- Radio Quotidien FM
- Radio Immaculée Conception
- Télé Smart
- Télé Connection
- Tele Seven Stars
Born in Hinche
- 1801: Pedro Santana, the first president of the Dominican Republic
- 1886: Charlemagne Péralte, who fought against the occupation of Haiti by the United States
- Moya Pons, Frank (1977) (in Spanish). Manual de Historia Dominicana. Santiago: UCMM. pp. 127.
- Tejera, Emilio (1977) (in Spanish). Indigenismos. Santo Domingo: Sociedad Dominicana de Bibliófilos.
- Haïti Référence: Profil de la Ville de Hinche - Information on Hinche (French text).
|Department capitals of Haiti|
|Cap-Haïtien • Fort-Liberté • Gonaïves • Hinche • Jacmel • Jérémie • Les Cayes • Miragoâne • Port-au-Prince • Port-de-Paix|
[[Category:Cities in Hai