kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
|Time zone||Eastern (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||Eastern (UTC-4)|
The city is in the Baie de Jacmel ("Jacmel Bay") about 86 km south of the Haitian capital Port-au-Prince. It is also the chief town of an arrondissement (a part of a department) with the same name. The arrondissement has four communes (a commune is like a municipality): Jacmel, Cayes-Jacmel, La Vallée and Marigot.
Christopher Columbus gave the name Puerto de Brasil ("Brazil port") to the place where Jacmel is now because there were many trees called "Brasil" (English: Brazilwood) in the region that were cut and sent to Spain; the tree has a yellow substance (and wood) that was used to give that color to hair, cloths and other objects.
In 1504, Nicolás de Ovando, Spanish governor of the Hispaniola, founded the town of Villanueva de Yáquimo (or Villanova de Yáquimo). But people left the town and French people came to live here; in 1698, the new town of Jacmel was founded.
There are many beautiful old houses in Jacmel, from the 1880s. Since 2004, the 'Festival Film Jakmèl' is celebrated in Jacmel and, since 2007, the international music festival 'Festival Mizik Jakmèl'.
- Radio Ambiance FM
- Ambiance TV
- Radio Anacaona
- Radio TéléDiffusion Jacmelienne
- Radio Télé-Express Continental
- Radio Vibration Inter
- Radio Jacmel Inter
- Radio Détente
- Radio Négritude
- Radio SemencesFM de Marbial
Jacmel has sister relationships with:
Vodou ceremony in Jacmel.
- Festival Film Jakmèl
- Festival Mizik Jakmèl
- Bonzouti.com - Web portal for Jacmel and the Sud-Est Department of Haiti
- Official Chamber of Commerce Website
- Website for Cayes-Jacmel
- Bassin-Bleu website
- Anglería, Pedro Martir de (1964) (in Spanish). Décadas del Nuevo Mundo, Tomo I, Tercera Década, Libro VII. Mexico: José Porrúa e Hijos.
- Las Casas, Bartolomé de (1967) (in Spanish). Apologética Historia Sumaria. Mexico: UNAM.
|Department capitals of Haiti|
|Cap-Haïtien • Fort-Liberté • Gonaïves • Hinche • Jacmel • Jérémie • Les Cayes • Miragoâne • Port-au-Prince • Port-de-Paix|
[[Category:Cities in Hai