kidzsearch.com > wiki
Sir Ian McKellen
McKellen at the San Diego Comic-Con International in July 2013.
Ian Murray McKellen
25 May 1939
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge|
|Partner(s)||Brian Taylor (1964–1972)|
Sean Mathias (1978–1988)
His work has spanned genres from serious Shakespearean and modern theatre to popular fantasy and science fiction movies.
He is openly gay and is a prominent activist for the rights of LGBT people. He said that the reason why he took the role in the X-Men movies was because of his sexuality. He said: "Mutants are like gays. They’re cast out by society for no good reason".
- Apt Pupil (1998)
- Gods and Monsters (1998)
- X-Men (2000)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
- X2: X-Men United (2003)
- Emile, (2005)
- Asylum, (2005)
- The Magic Roundabout, as Zebedee (2005) (movie known as "Dougal" in the United States)
- Flushed Away, (2006)
- The Da Vinci Code, (as Sir Leigh Teabing) (2006)
- X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)
- The Good Liar (2019)
- Cats (2019)
- Monitor. Time Inc.. May 25, 2012. p. 21.
- "Video: Sir Ian McKellen on Edward II and British TV's first gay kiss". https://www.bfi.org.uk/video-ian-mckellen-first-gay-kiss. Retrieved 27 July 2020.
- "Ian McKellen Took ‘X-Men’ Role Because Of Gay Rights Parallel". Huffington Post. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ian-mckellen-x-men-gay_n_4865739. Retrieved 11 July 2020.
- Ian McKellen is battling prostate cancer
- The papers of Sir Ian McKellen, actor are held by the Victoria and Albert Museum Theatre and Performance Department.
- Ian McKellen at the Internet Broadway Database
- Ian McKellen on IMDb
- Biography of Sir Ian McKellen, CH, CBE, Debrett's