kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Ida Haendel, (15 December 1928 – 1 July 2020)[a][b] was a Polish-born British violinist. Haendel was a child prodigy. Her career lasted over seven decades. She became an influential teacher. Haendel was born in Chełm, Poland.
In 1991 she was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) by Queen Elizabeth II. She received an honorary doctorate from the Royal College of Music, London in 2000 and from McGill University in 2006.
- The Strad magazine dated March 1937 gives her birth date as 15 January 1923; her precise age is in doubt
- It has been reported that, in consultation with her father, the English impresario Harold Holt adjusted her birth year from 1928 to 1923 to make it appear she was five years older than she really was. This was done in order to circumvent Covent Garden's rule prohibiting anyone aged under 14 appearing on stage. The incorrect birth year of 1923 has since appeared in many reference works.
- Anderson, Colin. "A Genius of the Violin – Ida Haendel @www.classicalsource.com". http://www.classicalsource.com/db_control/db_features.php?id=1757.
- Oerding, Henrik (1 July 2020). "Zum Tod von Ida Haendel: Warmherzig und würdevoll" (in de). https://www.br-klassik.de/aktuell/news-kritik/ida-haendel-nachruf-portraet-wuerdigung-100.html.
- White, Robert (1 July 2020). "Ida Haendel obituary". The Guardian (London). http://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/01/ida-haendel-obituary. Retrieved 1 July 2020.
- Rosenfelder, Ruth (1 March 2009). "Ida Haendel – Jewish Women: A Comprehensive Historical Encyclopedia". https://jwa.org/encyclopedia/article/haendel-ida.
- "McGill honorary degree recipients". 8 May 2006. https://www.mcgill.ca/newsroom/channels/news/plummer-huston-among-mcgill-honorary-degree-recipients-20073.
- Spier, Susan; Nygaard King, Betty; Siskind, Jacob (4 March 2015). "Ida Haendel". https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/ida-haendel-emc.