kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Insulin resistance is a serious condition in which the natural hormone, insulin, becomes less effective at lowering the level of sugar in the blood. When the blood glucose level is above normal for long periods, this can lead to major health problems.
Insulin resistance oftentimes leads to the development of certain types of diabetes mellitus, especially Type 2 diabetes or 'latent autoimmune diabetes of adults'. A condition called 'metabolic syndrome' is strongly tied to insulin resistance.
Signs and symptoms
- High blood sugar levels.
- Fatigue, and sleepiness, especially after meals.
- Brain fogginess and inability to focus (can't think clearly).
- Weight gain, fat storage, difficulty losing weight.
- Increased blood pressure.
- Increased thirst and hunger.
Standard medical test
- Blood sugar level test after 12 hours starvation.