kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Society of Jesus
|Society of Jesus|
|Motto||Ad maiorem Dei gloriam|
|Type||Roman Catholic religious order|
|Headquarters||Church of the Gesu (Mother Church), General Curia (administration)|
|Superior General||Arturo Sosa|
|Key people||Ignatius of Loyola—founder|
|Main organ||General Curia|
The Society of Jesus (Latin: Societas Iesu, S.J. and S.I. or SJ, SI ) is a Roman Catholic Church religious order whose members are called Jesuits, Soldiers of Christ, and Foot soldiers of the Pope, because the founder, Saint Ignatius of Loyola, was a knight before becoming a priest.
Jesuits are the largest male religious order of the Roman Catholic Church with 19,216 members (13,491 priests, 3,049 scholastic students, 1,810 brothers and 866 novices).
Within the Catholic Church, there has been a sometimes tense relationship between Jesuits and the Vatican. This is due to questioning of official Church teaching and papal directives, such as those on abortion, birth control, women deacons, homosexuality, and liberation theology. However, as of 2013, the current Pope, Pope Francis, is a Jesuit himself.
- Curia Generalis, Society of Jesus (7 May 2007). News from the Curia (Vol. 11, N. 9). The Jesuit Portal – Society of Jesus Homepage. Archived from the original on 18 March 2010. https://www.webcitation.org/5oK3zewfZ?url=http://www.sjweb.info/resources/searchShow.cfm?PubID=11802. Retrieved 9 July 2012. "The annual statistics of the Society for 2006 have been compiled and will be mailed to the Provinces within a few days. As of January 1, 2007 the number of Jesuits in the world was 19,216 (364 fewer than in 2005)...".
- "News on the elections of the new Superior General". Sjweb.info. http://www.sjweb.info/35/index.cfm. Retrieved 2011-12-04.
- africa.reuters.com, Spaniard becomes Jesuits' new "black pope". Africa.reuters.com. 2009-02-09. http://africa.reuters.com/wire/news/usnL19414053.html. Retrieved 2011-12-04.
- "Curia Generalizia of the Society of Jesus". Sjweb.info. http://www.sjweb.info/curia/index.cfm. Retrieved 2011-12-04.
- John F. Kavanaugh (15 December 2008). "Abortion Absolutists". America. http://www.americamagazine.org/content/article.cfm?article_id=11284. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- Dennis O’Brien (30 May 2005). "No to Abortion:Posture, Not Policy". America. http://www.americamagazine.org/content/article.cfm?article_id=4214. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- Norbert J. Rigali, S.J. (23 September 2000). "Words and Contraception". America. http://www.americamagazine.org/content/article.cfm?article_id=2282. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- Richard A. McCormick (17 July 1993). "'Humanae Vitae' 25 Years Later". America. http://www.americamagazine.org/content/article.cfm?article_id=10960. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- Cardinal Avery Dulles, S.J. (28 September 1968). "Karl Rahner on 'Humanae Vitae'". America. http://www.americamagazine.org/content/article.cfm?article_id=10722. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- Thomas J. Reese, S.J. & various correspondents (31 March 2009). "Pope, Condoms and AIDS". The Washington Post. http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/georgetown/2009/03/pope_condoms_and_aids.html. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- Phyllis Zagano (17 February 2003). "Catholic Women Deacons". America. http://www.americamagazine.org/content/article.cfm?article_id=2778. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- James Martin, S.J. (21 November 2008). "Jesuit General: Liberation Theology "Courageous"". America. http://www.americamagazine.org/blog/entry.cfm?blog_id=2&id=BF67420F-1321-AEAA-D33BE2D27DC3AB28. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- James Martin, S.J. (29 August 2010). "Glenn Beck and Liberation Theology". America. http://www.americamagazine.org/blog/entry.cfm?blog_id=2&entry_id=3224. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- North America
- South America
- The BBC Radio 4 In Our Time programme on 18 January 2007 was devoted to the early history and educational role of the Jesuits; the programme's website offers a free podcast and 'listen again' service In Our Time website
- Pray-as-you-go: latest initiative by the British Jesuits, providing daily prayer in MP3 format for use "on the go"
- Documentary by the Society of Jesus Province of Chicago (Windows Media Player)