kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Jumping is a form of movement in which an organism pushes itself up through the air and falls back down. Jumping is different from running, galloping and other ways of moving because the body is airborne for a longer period of time.
Some animals, such as the kangaroo, use jumping as their main form of traveling, while others, such as frogs, only use it to escape predators. Jumping is also an important feature of many different activities and sports, including the long jump, high jump, and show jumping.
One way to classify jumping is by looking at how the feet launch and land. In this classification system, there are five basic types of jumping:
- Jump - jumping from and landing on two feet
- Hop - jumping from one foot and landing on the same foot
- Leap - jumping from one foot and landing on the other foot
- Assemble - jumping from one foot and landing on two feet
- Sissonne - jumping from two feet and landing on one foot
- Study Guide for Elementary Labanotation by Peggy Hackney, Sarah Manno (Editor), Muriel Topaz (Editor)