kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
|- City -|
City of republic significance
Left to right, top to bottom: Spasskaya Tower, Söyembikä Tower, Qol Sharif Mosque, Farmers' Palace, Epiphany Cathedral, view of Kazan
|City Day||30 August|
|Administratively subordinated to||city of republic significance of Kazan|
|Capital of||Republic of Tatarstan|
|Urban okrug||Kazan Urban Okrug|
|Representative body||City Duma|
|Area||425.3 km2 (164.2 sq mi)|
|Population (2010 Census,|
|- Rank in 2010||8th|
|Population (2018 est.)||1,243,500 inhabitants|
|Density||2,689/km2 (6,964/sq mi)|
|Time zone||MSK (UTC+04:00)|
|Dialing code(s)||+7 843|
Kazan (Russian: Каза́нь, IPA: [kɐˈzanʲ]; Tatar: Казан) is the capital city of Tatarstan and one of Russia's largest cities. It is a major industrial, commercial and cultural center, and remains the most important center of Tatar culture. Kazan lies at the confluence of the Volga (İdel) and Kazanka (Qazansu) rivers in central European Russia.
The origin of the name is unclear. The literal translation of Tatar qazan is a boiler or cauldron. Alternately, it may have been derived from qazğan, Tatar for dug [ditch].
"Qazan" is originally a name for a special cooking pan, a variant of a wok, but more solid and heavier. It was believed that the city of Kazan is named after this object because of its geographical similarity with a "qazan"-pan; namely the city is situated in a U - shape lowland.
Another, more romantic legend tells a story of a Tatar princess Söyembikä, who dropped a golden dish (golden qazan) into the river on which the city is located while washing it.
Nevertheless, Chuvash legends refer to Bulgarian prince Khusan (Chuvash rendering of Muslim name Hassan) and Chuvashes call this city Хусан after the name of this prince.
- "ARCHIVED COPY". http://kgmu.kcn.ru/english/about_kazan.html.
- "Welcome to the Republic of Tatarstan". Archived from the original on 16 September 2017. https://web.archive.org/web/20170916225234/http://tatarstan.ru/eng/about/welcome.htm. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- Official website of the Mayor of Kazan Archived 3 September 2011 at the Wayback Machine (in Russian)
- Official website of Kazan. Kazan City Duma Archived 4 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine (in Russian)
- площадь собственно города, Федеральная служба государственной статистики Archived 15 November 2013 at the Wayback Machine
- "Всероссийская перепись населения 2010 года. Том 1 [2010 All-Russian Population Census, vol. 1)]" (in Russian). Всероссийская перепись населения 2010 года (2010 All-Russia Population Census). Federal State Statistics Service. 2011. http://www.gks.ru/free_doc/new_site/perepis2010/croc/perepis_itogi1612.htm. Retrieved June 29, 2012.
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- The value of density was calculated automatically by dividing the 2010 Census population by the area specified in the infobox. Please note that this value may not be accurate as the area specified in the infobox does not necessarily correspond to the area of the entity proper or is reported for the same year as the population.
- "Kazan Russia - a thousand-year Russian city travel guide". Archived from the original on 28 August 2007. http://archive.wikiwix.com/cache/20070828022156/http://aboutkazan.com/. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- "Current Local Time in Kazan, Russia". Archived from the original on 9 February 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/20140209215458/http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=354. Retrieved 8 May 2018.