kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
List of extinction events
An extinction event is a relatively fast drop in the number of species living on Earth. It occurs when the rate of extinction increases more than the rate of speciation. This is a list of the largest. Major extinction events are important to both geology and evolution.
Lesser Phanerozoic extinctions
Other extinction events in the Phanerozoic also had significant impact on the evolution of the biota.
- Eocene–Oligocene transition. From the middle of the Eocene to early in the Oligocene there were a number of events. The climate became much cooler, ice formed on Antarctica, and there was a turnover in aquatic and terrestrial groups.
- Vendian/Cambrian extinction event. Extinctions have been claimed for three groups: the acritarchs, trace fossils, and the famous Ediacaran fossils. Not much is known about this event.
- Huggett, Richard J. 1997. Catastrophism. new ed. Verso.
- Elewa A.M.T. (ed) 2008. Mass extinctions. Springer, Berlin.
- Hallam A. and Wignall P.B. 1997. Mass extinctions and their aftermath. Oxford.
- MacLeod N. (1997). "The Cretaceous–Tertiary biotic transition". Journal of the Geological Society 154 (2): 265–292. . http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3721/is_199703/ai_n8738406/print.
- Benton M.J. 1991. What really happened in the Late Triassic? Historical biology 5, 263–278.
- Benton M.J. 1995. Diversification and extinction in the history of life. Science 268, 52–58.
- Benton M.J. 2005. When life nearly died: the greatest mass extinction of all time. Thames & Hudson, London. isbn=978-0500285732
- Erwin DH 1993. The great Paleozoic crisis; life and death in the Permian Columbia, N.Y. isbn=0231074670
- McGhee, George R. Jr 1996. The Late Devonian mass extinction: the Frasnian/Famennian crisis. Columbia, N.Y. ISBN 0231075049
- Jablonski D. 1994. Extinctions in the fossil record. Phil Trans Roy Soc B344, 11–17.
- Prothero, Donald 1994. The Eocene–Oligocene transition: paradise lost. Columbia University Press, New York. ISBN 0-231-08091-3