kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Luís de Camões
|Luís Vaz de Camões|
June 10, 1580|
Luís Vaz de Camões (c. 1524 – June 10, 1580) was Portugal's greatest poet. He has been compared to Homer, Virgil, Dante, Cervantes or Shakespeare. He wrote lyrical poetry (in Portuguese and in Spanish) and drama but is best remembered for his epic work Os Lusíadas. (His philosophical work The Parnasum of Luís Vaz was lost, stolen with part of Os Lusíadas by envious enemies while he was staying at Mozambique.)
- Os Lusíadas
- Is about the exploration of Portuguese people through Africa and the West Indies. It talks a lot about Vasco de Gama.
- The Parnasum of Luís Vaz (lost)
Today, a museum dedicated to Camões can be found in Macau, the Museu Luís de Camões.
- A biography about Camões is Life of Camões, by John Adamson, published by Longman in 1820.
- Luis de Camões: Epic and Lyric, ed. Keith Bosley (1990)
- Camoens: His Life and his Lusiads, 1881
- The Place of Camoens in Literature / Nabuco, Joaquim., 1908
- Luis de Camões / Bell, Aubrey F. G., 1923
- Camoens, Central Figure of Portuguese Lit. / Goldberg, Isaac., 1924
- From Virgil to Milton / Bowra, C. M., 1945
- Camoens and the Epic of the Lusiads / Hart, Henry Hersch., 1962
- The Lusiads of Luiz de Camões / Bacon, Leonard., 1966
- The Presence of Camões / Monteiro, George., 1996
- The Lusiads / White, Landeg., 2002
- Works by Luis de Camoes at Project Gutenberg
- Luis Vaz de Camões - Catholic Encyclopedia article
- Fulgrosse's Blog about Luiz Vaz de Camões and his mysteries