kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
|Macao Special Administrative 
Region of the People's
Republic of China
|Official languages||Spoken languages||<tr class="mergedbottomrow">||Writing systems|
|Government||Special administrative region|
|-||Chief Executive||Fernando Chui|
|-||Administration and Justice Secretary||Florinda Chan|
|-||Court President||Sam Hou Fai|
|-||Assembly President||Lau Cheok Va|
|-||Portuguese colony||1 December 1887|
|20 December 1999|
|-||Total||29.5 km2 (235th)
11.39 sq mi
|-||2012a estimate||568,700 (167th)|
|-||2011 census||552,503 (167th)|
|GDP (PPP)||2011 estimate|
|-||Total||US$47.19 billion (98th)|
|-||Per capita||US$82,400 (4th)|
|GDP (nominal)||2012  estimate|
|-||Total||US$44.300 billion (98th)|
|-||Per capita||US$77,353 (4th)|
|HDI (2007)|| 0.944
very high · 25th
|Currency||Macanese pataca (
|Time zone||MST (UTC+8)|
|-||Summer (DST)||not observed (UTC)|
|Drives on the||left|
|ISO 3166 code||MO|
|Literal meaning||Bay gate|
|Macao Special Administrative Region|
|Traditional Chinese||澳門特別行政區 (or 澳門特區)|
|Simplified Chinese||澳门特别行政区 (or 澳门特区)|
|Portuguese||Região Administrativa Especial de Macau for "Macau Special Administrative Region"|
The Macao Special Administrative Region (Macau or Macao, Pinyin: Aomen, Cantonese: Ou Mun) is one of China's two Special Administrative Regions. (The other one is Hong Kong). Macau is a small city in the southern coast in China. It consists of Macau Peninsula (Aomen Bandao), Taipa Island (Dangzai Dao), Coloane Island (Luhuan Dao) and Cotai (Ludangcheng), the new reclaimed land between Taipa and Coloane. It is very densely populated, with over half a million people.
- As reflected in the Chinese text of the Macau emblem, the text of the Macao Basic Law, and the Macao Government Website, the full name of the territory is the Macao Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China. Although the convention of "Macao Special Administrative Region", "Macao" and "Macau" can also be used.
- The Macau Basic Law states that the official languages are "Chinese and Portuguese." It does not explicitly specify the standard for "Chinese". While Mandarin and Simplified Chinese characters are used as the spoken and written standards in mainland China, Cantonese and Traditional Chinese characters are the long-established de facto standards in Macau.
- "Demographic Statistics for the 2nd Quarter 2012". Statistics and Census Service. Macao SAR Government. http://www.dsec.gov.mo/Statistic/Demographic/DemographicStatistics/DemographicStatistics2012Q2.aspx. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Results of 2011 Population Census". Statistics and Census Service. Macao SAR Government. http://www.dsec.gov.mo/getAttachment/7a3b17c2-22cc-4197-9bd5-ccc6eec388a2/E_CEN_PUB_2011_Y.aspx. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- CIA World Factbook
- "Macao in Figures 2010". Statistics and Census Service, Macau SAR. 2010. http://www.dsec.gov.mo/getAttachment/6ba9054b-39ed-4a06-95fa-be5fdc961af1/E_MN_PUB_2010_Y.aspx. Retrieved 1 July 2010.