kidzsearch.com > wiki
There are three variables common to all gambling.
- The amount of the bet.
- The predictability, or probability, of something that would happen in the event.
- The odds agreed upon by the players.
There are many types of gambling. Casino games, sports betting (especially horse racing), and state lotteries are some of the most common forms of gambling. Investments, such as stocks, bonds and real estate, are also sometimes considered forms of gambling. Generally, the odds are not in favor of the gambler.
Many people gamble for fun and entertainment. For others it becomes an addiction and a financial burden. Gambling addiction is a serious mental health issue that can become life-threatening. People with a gambling problem should seek help. Research shows that older people are more vulnerable and how the brain can get addicted to gambling.
Gambling regulation differs in different countries. Some have established specific legal institutions. However, some countries have only overseeing laws. A well-known executive institution is The Gambling Commission in the UK. Its main function is controlling commercial gambling in partnership with people in charge of licensing. An example of strict ruling is the Gambling Law in the USA. The law decides gaming rules for local, state, and federal businesses. In the United States, gambling is restricted almost everywhere, except in Las Vegas and in Atlantic City, New Jersey. New Jersey, legalised online gambling and poker in November 2013.In 2018, Swiss citizens voted that gambling should also be allowed on the Internet in the future. A convincing 73% voted in the referendum, in which 1.8 million Swiss people took part. The new Gaming Act was put into effect by the Federal Gaming Board on January 1, 2019. Since then, it has been completely legal for Swiss citizens to play games of chance on the Internet..
In some places, such as mainland China, gambling is illegal. Chinese people cannot do so inside their country, so they go outside of it, such as to Macau, which is known as the "gambling capital of the world" because of its many big casinos. Other countries and local governments, such as Hong Kong, have some kind of gambling control board to make sure people don't gamble too much while allowing them to gamble.
Gambling has been banned in Brazil since 1946.
- "Cricket Betting". https://www.thecricketbettingtip.com/.
- "The Effects of Gambling". ProblemGambling.ca. 4 April 2016. https://www.problemgambling.ca/EN/AboutGamblingandProblemGambling/Pages/TheEffectsOfGambling.aspx. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Gambling Commission". https://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/about/About-us.aspx.
- "Is Online Betting Legal?" (in en). https://oddsseeker.com/news/online-betting-tips.
- "Gambling Laws in Switzerland". https://swiss-casino-now.com/.