kidzsearch.com > wiki
A macromolecule is a molecule with a large number of atoms. The word is usually used only when describing polymers, molecules which are made up of smaller molecules called monomers. All organic monomers are based on carbon, usually with hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen. There are inorganic macromolecules based on other monomers.
- Proteins, composed of amino acids.
- Nucleic acids.
- Carbohydrates, composed of monosaccharide sugars.
- Lipids or fats composed of fatty acids and triglycerides.
- Nylon, composed of polyamides.
- Polythiazyl, composed of polymeric sulphur nitride (SN)x.