kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Mark Twain, 1909.
|Born||Samuel Langhorne Clemens|
November 30, 1835
Florida, Missouri, U.S.
|Died||April 21, 1910 (aged 74)|
Redding, Connecticut, U.S.
|Pen name||Mark Twain|
|Notable work(s)||Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer|
Samuel Langhorne Clemens (November 30, 1835 – April 21, 1910), more widely known as Mark Twain, was a well known American writer born in Florida, Missouri. He worked mainly for newspapers and as a steamboat pilot on the Mississippi River before he became a writer. He married in 1870, and raised his family in Hartford, Connecticut. In later life he invested and lost the money that his writing had made, and toured the world giving lectures that brought him enough money to pay his debt and recover his fortune.
Clemens was best known for his works in fiction, and especially for his use of humour. His first published story, in 1865, was The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County.
Clemens's style was usually informal and humorous. This made him different from many important 19th century writers whose books he disliked. For example, he greatly disliked Jane Austen's works, such as Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice, and famously remarked, "She makes me detest (hate) all her people, without reserve."
Actor Hal Holbrook plays Mark Twain on stage in a one-man show called Mark Twain Tonight.
- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876)
- The Prince and the Pauper (1882)
- Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1884)
- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (1889)
- "Mark Twain". New York Times.com. http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/c/samuel_langhorne_clemens/index.html. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "Mark Twain quotations - Jane Austen". twainquotes.com. http://www.twainquotes.com/Austen_Jane.html. Retrieved 3 September 2010.
- Twain, Mark (April 21, 2009) (in English). Who is Mark Twain?. Harper. .
- "Mark Twain quotations". Twainquotes.com. http://www.twainquotes.com/Halley's_Comet.html. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- Works related to Mark Twain at Wikisource
- Quotations related to Mark Twain at Wikiquote
- Media related to Mark Twain at Wikimedia Commons
- Works by Mark Twain at Project Gutenberg
- The Mark Twain Papers and Project of the Bancroft Library (Archive of Mark Twain's papers and writings)
- Samuel Langhorne Clemens collection of papers at New York Public Library