kidzsearch.com > wiki
Murray Edwards College, Cambridge
Murray Edwards College is one of the colleges of the University of Cambridge, England. It was created in 1954 with the name New Hall. In 2008, it changed its name to remember Dame Rosemary Murray, the first President of the College, and the Edwards family which gave £30 million to the college.
Murray Edwards is a college for women only. When it was built, most colleges only accepted men. Therefore, the main aim of New Hall was to increase the presence of women in the University. At the beginning, New Hall was found near Darwin College. In 1964, the new buildings were made and in 1965 the college moved to today's location, Huntingdon Road, about a mile from the city centre of Cambridge. It has about 500 students.
Murray Edwards has a very big women's art collection, the second largest in the world.
- After 50 years as plain old New Hall, Cambridge college gets a £30m donation - and a new name. The Guardian. 18 June 2008. http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2008/jun/18/highereducation.uk. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- "New Hall Art Collection (Cambridge)". Historic Britain. http://www.historicbritain.com/vendor/newhall.aspx. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
Colleges of the University of Cambridge
|Christ's • Churchill • Clare • Clare Hall • Corpus Christi • Darwin • Downing • Emmanuel • Fitzwilliam • Girton • Gonville and Caius • Homerton • Huges Hall • Jesus • King's • Lucy Cavendish • Magdalene • Murray Edwards • Newnham • Pembroke • Peterhouse • Queens' • Robinson • St Catharine's • St Edmund's • St John's • Selwyn • Sidney Sussex • Trinity • Trinity Hall • Wolfson|