Map of Japanese provinces (1868
) with Nagato Province highlighted
Nagato Province (長門国 Nagato no kuni), often called Chōshū (長州), was an old province of Japan in the area of Yamaguchi Prefecture on the island of Honshū.
The province had borders with Iwami and Suō Provinces.
The ancient capital city of the province was Shimonoseki.
In the Meiji period, the provinces of Japan were converted into prefectures. The maps of Japan and Nagato Province were reformed in the 1870s.
The Japanese battleship Nagato was named after this province.
Shrines and Temples
Sumiyoshi jinja was the chief Shinto shrine (ichinomiya) of Nagato.
Media related to Nagato Province at Wikimedia Commons