kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Narcissistic personality disorder
Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a Cluster B personality disorder in which the person is centred on ability, power, status, vanity and egocentrism. They expect and demand to be praised and viewed at superior to most people. About one percent of people have NPD. It is more common in men than women.
In the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, NPD is defined as habitual grandiosity, need for admiration and lack of empathy. The way of thinking and behavior must have begun by early adulthood and be present in a variety of contexts. At least five of these nine traits must be present:
- Very high self-importance (boasts and expects to be seen as superior).
- Often imagines being extremely successful, powerful, brilliant, beautiful or in love.
- Believes (s)he is special and unique and that (s)he should only be around other high-status people and institutions.
- Needs to be admired very frequently.
- Thinks (s)he should be treated better than other people or that they should do what (s)he wants.
- Exploits people.
- Does not have empathy.
- Is envious of other people or thinks they are envious of him/her.
- Is arrogant.