kidzsearch.com > wiki
The Nintendo DSi (ニンテンドーDSi Nintendō Dīesuai ) is the third version of the Nintendo DS handheld. It was first announced in October 2008 and was available in Japan in November of the same year and worldwide in 2009/2010. Development of the DSi began in late 2006, shortly after the release of the DS Lite. A larger version of the DSi titled the Nintendo DSi XL was released in 2009/2010.
The DSi is about 12% thinner (2.6 mm) and the screen is about 17% bigger than the Nintendo DS Lite. It has two Video Graphics Array (or VGA) 0.3 megapixel  digital cameras; one is pointed at the user and the other is in the outer shell. The power switch is now a power button like the original Nintendo DS instead of a switch and is moved to the bottom to make it harder to bump by accident. It no longer has a slot to play Game Boy Advance games in and one will not be able to play games such as Guitar Hero: On Tour on the DSi because the game requires the slot and the download games.
Differences between the Nintendo DS Lite and Nintendo DSi
- Bigger Screen: The DSi Screen is one quarter of an inch bigger than the DS Lite screen.
- Lighter: The DSi is 4 grams lighter than the DS Lite.
- Battery Life: The battery lasts between 1–5 hours less than the DS Lite.
- Extra memory: The Nintendo DSi has a SD card slot, on which photos and music can be stored.
- No Game Boy Game Slot: The DSi cannot play Game Boy Advance games and DS games that require the use of the GBA slot; this caused a lot of disappointment when it came out.
- Camera: The DSi has two cameras, one on the inside and one on the outside and the photos can be put on the SD card and later printed.
- Music Player: The DSi has an AAC player, for playing music, much like an iPod does.
- Internet: The DSi has an internet browser that cannot watch videos, but can do everything else.
- "ニンテンドーDSi" (in Japanese). Nintendo of Japan. http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsi.html. Retrieved 2008-10-06.
- "Nintendo introduces DSi". Nintendo of Europe. 2008-10-02. http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/2008/nintendo_introduces_dsi_9691.html. Retrieved 2008-11-23.
- "任天堂新機種「ＤＳｉ」１１月１日発売 カメラや音楽再生機能を搭載 " (in Japanese). MSN. 2008-10-02. http://sankei.jp.msn.com/release/tech/081002/tch0810021753002-n1.htm. Retrieved 2008-11-23.
- Satoru Iwata (2008-10-02). "Nintendo Conference Fall 2008". Nintendo. pp. p. 2. http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/conference2008fall/presen/e/02.html. Retrieved 2008-12-11. "We cannot boast about the resolution as the camera for DSi has the 300,000 pixels resolution."
- Thorson, Tor (2008-10-02). "Nintendo: No US DSi until 'well into 2009'". GameSpot. http://www.gamespot.com/news/6198456.html. Retrieved 2008-10-03.
- Ashcraft, Brian (2008-10-01). "Liveblogging the Nintendo Press Conference Liveblog". Kotaku. http://kotaku.com/5057867/liveblogging-the-nintendo-press-conference-liveblog. Retrieved 2008-10-02.
- Cocker, Guy (2008-10-02). "Nintendo announces DSi". GameSpot. http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6198455.html. Retrieved 2008-10-03.
- Kohler, Chris (2008-10-02). "Liveblogging the Liveblogs: Nintendo's Japan Conference Kicks Off". Wired. http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/10/liveblogging-th.html. Retrieved 2008-10-03.