kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
The Odontoceti includes all the whales which eat prey larger than plankton. As the name suggests, the suborder has teeth rather than the baleen of Mysticeti whales. This means they are predators of small to large sized prey. By means of co-operation, Killer Whales can take prey larger than themselves, up to and including Blue Whale calves.
- Superfamily Delphinoidea; Porpoises, Dolphins, Pilot Whales, Killer Whales, Narwhal
- Superfamily Inioidea: some South American river dolphins
- Superfamily Lipotoidea: Chinese River Dolphin
- Superfamily Physeteroidea: Sperm Whales
- Superfamily Platanistoidea: River Dolphins proper
- Superfamily Ziphioidea: Bottlenose Whales, Beaked Whales
- Perrin, William F., ed. (2009) (2 ed.). Academic Press. p. 1173. http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookdescription.cws_home/716899/description#description..
- Reeves R. et al. 2003. Dolphins, whales, and porpoises. IUCN Species Survival Commission Specialists Group.