kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
Winfrey at the 2013 Women in the World Conference.
Orpah Gail Winfrey
January 29, 1954
|Alma mater||Tennessee State University|
|Net worth||US$ 2.8 billion (2012)|
|Political party||Democratic Party|
|Partner(s)||Stedman Graham (1986–present)|
Oprah Gail Winfrey (born January 29, 1954) is an American media proprietor, talk show host, actress, producer, and philanthropist. Winfrey is best known for her multi-award-winning talk show, The Oprah Winfrey Show which was the highest-rated program of its kind in history and was nationally syndicated from 1986 to 2011. She has also acted in several movies including The Color Purple and The Butler.
Winfrey was born on January 29, 1954 in Kosciusko, Mississippi. Winfrey was named "Orpah" after a character in the Book of Ruth. People made the mistake of calling her "Oprah". She decided to keep this name. Her parents are Vernita Lee, a maid, and Vernon Winfrey, a barber. She went to Tennessee State University in 1971. She started to work in radio and television in Nashville. She hosted television programs in Baltimore and Chicago.
The Oprah Winfrey Show
Oprah Winfrey Network
Winfrey now runs the Oprah Winfrey Network. On January 15, 2008, Winfrey and Discovery Communications announced plans to change Discovery Health Channel into a new channel called OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network. It was scheduled to lauch in 2009, but was delayed, and actually launched on January 1, 2011. She also hosts the Oprah's Next Chapter show on the network.
Oprah Winfrey has a lot of money. She gives to many charities. She gives to girls' education in South Africa. In 2013, she was named one of the 400 richest people in the United States. She is the only African-American among this group. She was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Barack Obama in 2013 and a honorary doctorate degree from Harvard.
- "Oprah Winfrey Interview". Academy of Achievement. January 21, 1991. http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/win0int-1. Retrieved January 9, 2014.
-  Forbes.com. Retrieved January 2014.
- "The World's Most Powerful Celebrities List". Forbes. http://www.forbes.com/wealth/celebrities/list?ascend=true&sort=moneyRank. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "Oprah Winfrey". A+E Television Networks LLC. http://www.biography.com/people/oprah-winfrey-9534419. Retrieved 10/16/2013.
- "Oprah's Next Chapter - OWN TV". http://www.oprah.com/own-oprahs-next-chapter/oprahs-next-chapter.html. Retrieved January 12, 2012.
- Everything's Coming Up Oprah: How Winfrey Got Richer in 2013