kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Location in Plymouth County in Massachusetts
|• Type||Representative town meeting|
| • Town|
|• Total||134.0 sq mi (347.0 km2)|
|• Land||96.5 sq mi (249.8 km2)|
|• Water||37.5 sq mi (97.2 km2)|
|Elevation||187 ft (57 m)|
|• Density||536.0/sq mi (207.0/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (Eastern)|
|GNIS feature ID||0618349|
Plymouth (historically known as Plimouth and Plimoth) is a town in Plymouth County, Massachusetts, United States. It is the largest municipality in Massachusetts by area. The population was 51,701 at the 2000 census, with its estimated 2007 population being 57,901. Plymouth is one of two county seats of Plymouth County, the other being Brockton. It is named after Plymouth, Devon, United Kingdom, which is, in turn, named for the mouth of the river Plym. Plymouth was first settled by the Pilgrims in 1620. The first Thanksgiving was held there. It was the capitol of Plymouth Colony from 1620 until 1691, when it became part of Massachusetts. Plymouth was an important port in the 18th and 19th centuries.
- "Town Departments: Town Manager's Office". Town of Plymouth. http://www.plymouth-ma.gov/Public_Documents/PlymouthMA_Admin/index. Retrieved 2007-07-30.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Town of Plymouth. Geographic Names Information System. Retrieved on 2007-07-31.
- "2000 Population census for Plymouth town". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/SAFFPopulation?_event=ChangeGeoContext&geo_id=06000US2502354310&_geoContext=01000US%7C04000US42%7C16000US4212536&_street=&_county=Plymouth&_cityTown=Plymouth&_state=04000US25&_zip=&_lang=en&_sse=on&ActiveGeoDiv=geoSelect&_useEV=&pctxt=fph&pgsl=010&_submenuId=population_0&ds_name=null&_ci_nbr=null&qr_name=null®=null%3Anull&_keyword=&_industry=. Retrieved 2007-07-30.
- "Plymouth History". WickedLocal Plymouth. http://home.wickedlocal.com/article.aspx?id=9677&c=gplymouth. Retrieved 2007-09-13.
- "Town of Plymouth Population Projections, 1980 - 2007". Town of Plymouth. http://www.plymouth-ma.gov/Public_Documents/PlymouthMA_Planning/documents/Pop2007.pdf?FCItemID=S00C25C5. Retrieved 2007-07-13.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Template.cfm?Section=Find_a_County&Template=/cffiles/counties/usamap.cfm. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Plymouth". Cornwall Guide. http://www.hblasalzburg-annahof.at/minf%20schuelerarbeiten/schoesswender_julia%204%20chl/Plymouth/plymouth.htm. Retrieved 2007-08-10.
- Plymouth (Massachusetts) travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Destination: Plymouth tourism site
- Plymouth Town Website
- Wicked Local Plymouth