kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Pope Gregory VI
|Pope Gregory VI|
|Papacy began||1 May 1045|
|Papacy ended||20 December 1046|
|Birth name||Johannes Gratianus|
|Born||Rome, Papal States, Holy Roman Empire|
Cologne (most likely), Germany, Holy Roman Empire
Pope Gregory VI (Latin: Gregorius Sextus; died 1048), born Johannes Gratianus, was an Italian priest of the Roman Catholic Church and the 149th Pope from 1 May 1045 until his abdication on 20 December 1046.
Johannes Gratianus was born in Rome, but the date of his birth is not known.
Gratianus became pope in 1045; and he took the name Gregory. There was a problem in the way he became pope.
Gregory VI willingly resigned; and then he retired to a monastery.
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2013-3-21.
- "Pope Gregory VI," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2013-3-21.
- Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. (1838). "Gregory VI," Penny cyclopaedia, Vol. 11, p. 444.
- "Pope St. Gregory VII," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2013-3-21.
- "Pope Gregory VI". Catholic Encyclopedia. (1913). New York: Robert Appleton Company.
- "Gregory VI", Encyclopædia Britannica, 1911
- Catholic Hierarchy, Popes in sequence
|Catholic Church titles|
| Succeeded by|