kidzsearch.com > wiki
Pope Paul II
|Papacy began||30 August 1464|
|Papacy ended||26 July 1471|
|Predecessor||Pope Pius II|
|Successor||Pope Sixtus IV|
|Birth name||Pietro Barbo|
|Born||23 February 1417|
|Died||26 July 1471 (aged 54)|
|Other Popes named Paul|
Pope Paul II (Latin: Paulus SecundusLua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Category handler/data' not found.; 23 February 1417 – 26 July 1471), born Pietro Barbo, was an Italian priest of the Roman Catholic Church and the 212th Pope from 1464 until his death in 1471.
Barbo was elected Pope on 30 August 1464; and he chose to be called Paul II.
Pope Paul was involved in Italian and European political disputes.
The Cardinals' right to wear the red biretta was granted by Paul II.
After his death
The accounts of histories written soon after his death were unfavorable.
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-02.
- "Pope Paul II," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Paul II," Encyclopedia Britannica (1911), pp. 955.
- "Cardinal," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-11-01.
- Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. (1833). "Paul II," Penny cyclopaedia, Vols. 17-18, pp. 322-323.
- Pastor, Ludwig. (1894). The History of the Popes from the Close of the Middle Ages, Vol. IV, Chapter I. London, J. Hodges. OCLC 64083707
- Catholic Hierarchy, Pope Paul II
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Barbo Archived 2011-01-31 at the Wayback Machine; "The election of Pope Paul II (1464)"
| Succeeded by|