kidzsearch.com > wiki
Pope Pius II
|Papacy began||19 August 1458|
|Papacy ended||14 August 1464|
|Predecessor||Pope Callixtus III|
|Successor||Pope Paul II|
|Birth name||Enea Silvio Piccolomini|
|Born||October 18, 1405|
|Died||August 14, 1464(aged 58)|
Pope Pius II (Latin: Pius Secundus; 18 October 1405 – 14 August 1464), born Enea Silvio Piccolomini , was an Italian priest of the Roman Catholic Church and the 211th Pope from August 19, 1458 until his death in 1464.
Pope Pius was involved in Italian and European political disputes.
- De miseria curialium (1485)
- Epistolæ in pontificatu editæ (1487)
- Aeneas Siluius in Europam (1490)
- Eneas siluius de remedio amoris Somniu fortune eiusdem (1490)
- Epistolae familiares (1492)
- Lystoire de Eurialus et Lucresse, vrays amoureux (1493)
- Commentarii rerum memorabilium quae temporibus suis contigerunt (1584)
- "List of Popes," Catholic Encyclopedia (2009); retrieved 2011-11-02.
- "Pope Pius II," Catholic Encyclopedia; retrieved 2011-10-31.
- "Pius II," Encyclopedia Britannica (1911), Vols. 21-22, pp. 683-684.
- Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. (1833). "Pius II," Penny cyclopaedia, Vol. 18, pp. 197-198.
- Moseley, Nicholas. "Pius Aeneas," The Classical Journal, Vol. 20, No. 7 (Apr., 1925), pp. 387-400; retrieved 2011-10-31.
- Penny cyclopaedia, Vol. 18, p. 198, citing Niccolò Machiavelli. (1532). Historie fiorentine (History of Florence and of the affairs of Italy: from the earliest times to the death of Lorenzo the Magnificent).
- WorldCat Identities,Catholic Church Pope (1458-1464: Pius II); Pius II Pope 1405-1464
- Note that Pius II and his nephew Pius III share the same coat-of-arms
|Wikisource has original writing related to this article:|
- Tomb of Pius II
- Commentaries (1584 edition) digitized version of book
- Catholic Hierarchy, Pope Pius II
- Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, Cardinal Piccolomini
- "The Piccolomini Library"
| Succeeded by|