kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
|Directed by||Hayao Miyazaki|
|Produced by||Toshio Suzuki|
|Written by||Hayao Miyazaki (screenplay and story)|
Neil Gaiman (English adaptation)
Billy Bob Thornton
|Music by||Joe Hisaishi|
|Edited by||Takeshi Seyama|
|Distributed by|| Toho|
Buena Vista Pictures
| July 12, 1997|
October 29 1999
November 26 1999
October 19 2001
Princess Mononoke (もののけ姫 Mononoke Hime ) is a 1997 anime movie made by Hayao Miyazaki. The long animation movie of Studio Ghibli. The catch copy of this movie is Ikiro(生きろ). Mononoke is not a name, but a word that means spirit or monster in Japanese. The forest in Princess Mononoke looks like Yaku-shima(屋久島).
This movie takes place in Japan during the Muromachi period. There was a small village in Ezo. People lived peacefully. Ashitaka lived there. One day the evil god attacked the village and Ashitaka was cursed. The evil god was once a god of the forest, but he was shot by human and died in terrible pain. Ashitaka knew when he would die. He went to the west where the bullet which killed the god was made.
On his journey, he met a man called Jikobo. Jikobo told him where the Forest of Shishigami was. Ashitaka decided to go there. On his way to the forest, he met the girl raised by the wolf god, Moro. She was with her family. Ashitaka thought they must know about the forest. He called out to them. She and three big wild wolves disappeared into the forest.
Ashitaka rescues the injured men. They reach the village Tatara, where they live. Eboshi Gozen organized there. People made iron weapons there. She wanted to get the Forest of Shishigami, turn all Gods in the forest out, and make it a men-centered place.
It was said that Shishigami had a power of immortality. Because people wanted this power, they aimed at the head of Shishigami. Then these people, Shishigami, Eboshi and her people, San and Ashitaka started and were involved in huge complicated war for the forest. In this war, Ashitaka and San understood each other little by little.
- Ashitaka (Ashitakahiko) Main character. A boy with a strong sense of justice. Seventeen years old. He gets a curse on his right hand as a big snakelike bruise. It sometimes gives him mighty power but shortens his life at the same time.
- San-Princess Mononoke The girl who was raised by a Japanese wolf. Fifteen years old. She hates humans because they destroy forest, so she attacks Tataraba many times. She puts a red clay mask on her face.
- Yakul Ashitaka's antelope, which he rides.
- Moro The wolf which is three hundred years old. She is considered to be a god of the mountain. She speaks Japanese.
- Eboshi Gozen She is the leader of Tataraba. She is admired and liked by people. She wants to get Shishigami's forest.
- Shishigami God who bring life. It turns into a huge blue creature called Didarabocci at night.
- Okkotonushi A five hundred year old god of wild boars.
- Jikobo The man who told Ashitaka about the Forest of Shishigami. He aimed at the head of Shishigami.