kidzsearch.com > wiki
|Assistant Secretary for Health|
|Succeeding||Felicia Collins (acting)|
|Secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Health|
July 2017 – January 23, 2021
|Preceded by||Karen Murphy|
|Succeeded by||Alison Beam (acting)|
|Born||October 28, 1957|
|Spouse(s)||Martha Peaslee (m. 2021–2013)|
|Education||Harvard University (BS)|
Tulane University (MD)
She is a professor of pediatrics and psychiatry at the Penn State College of Medicine. She was the Pennsylvania physician general from 2015 to 2017.
On February 13, 2021, President Joe Biden formally nominated Levine to be Assistant Secretary for Health. On March 24, 2021, she was confirmed by the Senate as Assistant Secretary for Health. She is one of only a few openly transgender government officials in the United States, and will be the first to hold an office that requires Senate confirmation.
- "LGBT History Month — October 22: Rachel Levine". Q-Notes. October 22, 2018. https://goqnotes.com/61545/lgbt-history-month-october-22-rachel-levine/. Retrieved January 21, 2021.
- "Gov. Wolf to Nominate Alison Beam as Secretary of Health, Names Dr. Wendy Braund as Interim Acting Physician General". Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. 22 January 2021. https://www.governor.pa.gov/newsroom/gov-wolf-to-nominate-alison-beam-as-secretary-of-health-names-dr-wendy-braund-as-interim-acting-physician-general/.
- "Rachel Levine, historic transgender nominee, confirmed as assistant health secretary". Washington Post. March 24, 2021. https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/03/24/rachel-levine-confirmed/.
- Zezima, Katie (June 1, 2016). "Meet Rachel Levine, one of the very few transgender public officials in America". https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/meet-rachel-levine-one-of-the-very-few-transgender-public-officials-in-america/2016/06/01/cf6e2332-2415-11e6-8690-f14ca9de2972_story.html.
- Sullivan, Eileen (January 19, 2021). "Biden's pick for Health and Human Services role would be first transgender federal official confirmed by the Senate." (in en-US). The New York Times. . https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/19/us/politics/rachel-levine-transgender-health-human-services.html. Retrieved January 19, 2021.
- "Biden picks transgender woman as assistant health secretary". January 19, 2021. https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-pandemics-biden-cabinet-health-coronavirus-pandemic-4eee53439e9c2b4c27fcf4e7f572cb0e.