kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
KidzSearch Safe Wikipedia for Kids.
Reduction in a general sense means to take of a part of a whole thing or to make it smaller.
Reduction or reducing may may mean in special cases:
- Reduction (chemistry), the reverse of oxidation, half of a redox reaction, adding of electrons to a molecule, which means reducing the valence
- Reduction (cooking), the process of thickening a liquid mixture such as a sauce by evaporation
- Reduction (philosophy), in philosophy, the process of explaining a particular concept or phenomenon in terms of more fundamental concepts or phenomena
- Reduction (linguistics), in linguistics, the shortening of the pronunciation of a word. e.g. wanna, lemme, gimme.
- Reduction, in physiology, another name for weight loss or dieting
- Reduction (orthopedic surgery), in orthopedic surgery, a medical procedure to restore a fracture to a correct alignment
- Reduction (town), a form of Catholic mission in South America in the 17th and 18th centuries
- Purchasing reduction, in economics and in waste management, is the process of decreasing the purchase of consumer goods
- Reduction (Sweden), in 1680 a return of lands to the Crown earlier granted to the nobility.
- Waste reduction is the first and most desirable component of the waste hierarchy (reduce, reuse, recycle)
In mathematics and computer science:
- Reduction (mathematics), the process of manipulating a series of equations or matrices into a desired 'simpler' format
- Reduction property, in descriptive set theory, a pointclass allows partitioning the union of two sets in the pointclass into two disjoint sets in the same pointclass
- Reduction (complexity), in computational complexity theory, the transformation of an instance of one problem into an instance of another
- Reduce computer algebra system, a general-purpose computer algebra system geared towards applications in physics.
- Reduce (higher-order function), a family of higher-order functions that process a data structure in some order and build up a return value.