kidzsearch.com > wiki
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)
|Sonic the Hedgehog 2|
|Developer(s)||Sega Technical Institute|
|Series||Sonic the Hedgehog|
Sonic the Hedgehog 2, also called Sonic 2, is the second video game in the Sonic the Hedgehog series.[a] It is a sequel to Sonic the Hedgehog. It was made by Sonic Team and published by Sega for the Sega Mega Drive in 1992. Unlike the first game, it has a half-pipe special stage and has seven chaos emeralds (see "chaos emerald") instead of six. It also introduces Miles "Tails" Prower.
Development of the game began in November 1991. The game was developed by both Japanese and American staff at Sega Technical Institute.
After the release of the original Sonic the Hedgehog, creator Yuji Naka quit Sega due to disagreements over corporate policy. Mark Cerny, who had recently created Sega Technical Institute (STI) inCalifornia, met with Naka in Japan. He offered Naka a higher salary and more creative freedom if he joined STI. Naka agreed. Hirokazu Yasuhara, the lead level designer of Sonic the Hedgehog, also decided to join STI.
Story and Gameplay
The game's story is that Dr. Robotnik has flew to another island, and it's up to Sonic and his new friend, Tails, to stop him. The doctor has found 7 special gems and they grant him ultimate power. The player must take him down. The gameplay is similar to the first Sonic the Hedgehog game. The player can run, curl up into a ball and jump, and perform a new move, the Spindash. The spindash is a move where Sonic can curl up, gain energy, and roll at high speeds. At the end of the game, the heroes can be seen flying in the air. The game has variety in its gameplay, with a flying section in a plane level.
Because of the popularity of its predecessor, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 already had a fanbase waiting for its release. The game received a lot of praise, and it was a bestseller in the UK charts for 2 months. As of 2006, the game had sold over 6 million copies. This makes it the second best-selling game on the Sega Genesis.
- Horowitz, Ken (2007-06-11). "Developer's Den: Sega Technical Institute". Sega-16. http://www.sega-16.com/2007/06/developers-den-sega-technical-institute/. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- "The Essential 50 Part 28 - Sonic the Hedgehog". 1UP.com. Ziff Davis. Archived from the original on May 23, 2011. https://web.archive.org/web/20110523204203/http://www.1up.com/features/essential-50-sonic. Retrieved 2014-07-21.
- Computer & Video Games, issue 132 (November 1992)
- Electronic Gaming Monthly, 1998 Video Game Buyer's Guide, page 87
- "Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for Genesis". GameRankings. CBS Interactive. https://www.gamerankings.com/genesis/563343-sonic-the-hedgehog-2/index.html. Retrieved 2018-10-29.
- Famitsu, issue 206
- GameFan, volume 1, issue 2 (December 1992), pages 9 & 14-17
- Game Informer, issue 8 (January/February 1993), pages 56-57
- "Classic Reviews: Sonic the Hedgehog 2". Game Informer 12 (109). May 2002.
- The Unknown Gamer (January 1993). "Pro Review: Sonic the Hedgehog 2". GamePro (IDG) (42): 46–47. https://retrocdn.net/images/5/54/GamePro_US_042.pdf.
- Provo, Frank (2007). "Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Review". GameSpot. http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/sonic-the-hedgehog-2-review/1900-6178735/. Retrieved 2007-10-21.
- Lucas M., Thomas (2007). "IGN's Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Review". IGN. Ziff Davis. https://www.ign.com/articles/2007/06/11/sonic-the-hedgehog-2-review. Retrieved January 28, 2019.
- East, Tom (2008-01-11). "Sonic The Hedgehog 2: The blue hedgehog returns". Official Nintendo Magazine. Archived from the original on 2013-05-26. https://web.archive.org/web/20130526140144/http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/2532/reviewssonic-the-hedgehog-2-review/. Retrieved February 3, 2012.
- Bad Influence, issue 2, pages 46-47
- "Review: Sonic the Hedgehog 2". Mean Machines (2): 60–3. November 1992. http://info.sonicretro.org/Review_-_Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_%28Mean_Machines_Sega,_November_1992%29. Retrieved February 3, 2012.
- "Game Review: Sonic the Hedgehog 2". Mega (Future Publishing) (2): 36–41. November 1992. http://www.outofprintarchive.com/catalogue/mega/MEGA2.html. Retrieved February 3, 2012.
- "Sonic the Hedgehog 2". Mega Zone (25): 31–33. January 1993. http://info.sonicretro.org/Review_-_Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_%28Megazone,_January_1993%29.
- Dyson Turner (July 17, 2004). "Sega-16 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2". Sega-16. http://www.sega-16.com/2004/07/sonic-the-hedgehog-2/. Retrieved December 29, 2018.
- "Reviewed: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Mega Drive)". Sega Force (Impact Magazines) (12): 14–6. December 1992. http://www.smspower.org/Scans/SegaForce-Magazine-Issue12?gallerypage=16. Retrieved February 3, 2012.
- "Sonic 2". Sega Force Mega (Impact Magazines) 2 (1): 91. August 1993.
- Hodapp, Eli (April 19, 2010). "'Sonic 2' – Another Genesis Game Wrapped in Sega's Emulator". https://toucharcade.com/2010/04/19/sonic-2-another-genesis-game-wrapped-in-segas-emulator/. Retrieved October 29, 2018.
- "Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for Xbox 360 Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/sonic-the-hedgehog-2. Retrieved 2014-11-27.
- "Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for iPhone/iPad Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. https://www.metacritic.com/game/ios/sonic-the-hedgehog-2. Retrieved 2014-11-27.
- "3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for 3DS Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. https://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/3d-sonic-the-hedgehog-2. Retrieved 2018-10-29.
- "Buyer's Guide: Best Game of the Year (Genesis)". Electronic Gaming Monthly. 1993. "Sega's famous mascot -- Sonic the Hedgehog is back for his second visit to the Genesis, and this version is hot! With 8 megabits of memory good ol' Sonic has a lot more room to do cool tricks and this is what makes this version stand head and shoulders above all the other Genesis games that came out this year. All in all, Sonic 2 is the best Genesis cart to come along in a long time!".
- GameFan, volume 1, issue 3 (January 1993), pages 70-71
- Game Informer, issue 8 (January/February 1993), page 34
- GamePro, issue 44 (March 1993), pages 22-24
- "Official Gallup UK Mega Drive Sales Chart". Mega (6). March 1993.
- Boutros, Daniel (2006-08-04). "A Detailed Cross-Examination of Yesterday and Today's Best-Selling Platform Games". Gamasutra. p. 5. https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/130268/a_detailed_crossexamination_of_.php?page=2. Retrieved 2019-01-28.
- Dotson, Carter. "Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Gets the Remastering Treatment, With the Long-Lost Hidden Palace Level Restored". 148Apps. Steel Media Ventures. http://www.148apps.com/news/sonic-hedgehog-2-remastering-treatment-longlost-hidden-palace-level-restored/. Retrieved November 18, 2014.
- "Game Zero's Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Review". Game Zero. 1993. http://www.gamezero.com/team-0/final_word/genesis/sonic_hedgehog_2.html.