kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
Sports in India
Sports in India are a part of Indian culture.
India has many traditional sports such as kabbadi, kho kho, pehlwani, and gilli-danda. Also, there are sports which were imported from the West such as football, rugby union, cricket, golf, tennis, squash, hockey, Javelin throw, boxing, snooker, and billiards. Sports are popular with both participanta and onlookers.
The history of traditional sports is ancient.
India has hosted international sporting events, including the 2011 Cricket World Cup.
- Banerji, Sures Chandra. (1977). A Companion to Sanskrit Literature, p. 768.
- Menon, Dilip. M. (2006). Cultural History of Modern India, p. xvii.
- Asha Kasbekar, Asha. (2006). Pop Culture India!: Media, Arts, And Lifestyle, p. 166.
- SportsReference.com (SR/Olympics), "India"; retrieved 2012-8-20.
- Timmons, Heather. " With India’s First Gold, Suddenly a Billion People Notice the Olympics," New York Times, August 11, 2008; excerpt, "Abhinav Bindra, 25, became the first Indian to win an individual Olympic gold medal "; retrieved 2012-7-13.