kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
A supercell is a strong type of thunderstorm with a thick, rotating updraft (a mesocyclone). Supercell thunderstorms are the largest, most dangerous type of thunderstorms. There are really only two types of thunderstorms: supercell and ordinary, but some have four classifications: single-cell, multi-cell, squall line, and supercell.
- Structure and Dynamics of Supercell Thunderstorms - NWS
- University of Illinois World Weather Project
- Weather Glossary for Storm Spotters - NWS
- Lemon, Leslie R. (1998): On the Mesocyclone "Dry Intrusion" and Tornadogenesis
- Lemon, Leslie R., Charles A. Doswell III (1979): "Severe Thunderstorm Evolution and Mesocyclone Structure as Related to Tornadogenesis". Monthly Weather Review Vol. 107, No. 9, pp. 1184–1197.
- Browning, K.A. and Ludlam, F.H. (1962): "Airflow In Convective Storms", Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 88, 117-135. (PDF)