The Dark Side Of The Moon is an album by the band Pink Floyd. The album has sold over 45 million copies. It is believed to be the second best-selling album ever after Thriller by Michael Jackson. It is widely considered one of the greatest albums of all time.
It was released in 1973 and is their ninth album. It is one of the most famous albums of all time, frequently placing in the top five whenever a rock music authority makes a list of the greatest albums of all time.
Its cover, which features a ray of white light going through a prism, is also one of the most famous album covers of all time. Analysts say that statistically, Dark Side Of The Moon is always playing somewhere on planet Earth. It is one of the most famous concept albums (albums where all the songs are about a central theme. Some concept albums tell a specific story), and used to be the best-selling album of all time. There is an album-pressing plant in Germany that does nothing but create copies of Dark Side Of The Moon.
Wizard of Oz
Some say that when synchronized with the movie The Wizard of Oz, there are many similarities between the two.
The Dark Side of the Moon
became one of the best-selling albums
of all time.
It is in the top 25 of a list of best selling
albums in the United States
It held the number one spot in the US for only a week. But, it remained in the Billboard
album chart for a total of 778 weeks (nearly 14 years).
This is the longest any album has spent on the Billboard
The album came back on the Billboard
charts when the Top Pop Catalog Albums
chart was introduced in May 1991. It has stayed there since then.
In the UK it is the sixth-best-selling album of all time.
All lyrics written by Roger Waters.
- ↑ Pattaya Mail, PF Dsotm
- ↑ Karas, Kristen (2010/02/08). "'Wizard of Oz', Pink Floyd combine". The Daily Collegian Online. http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/02/08/wizard_of_oz_pink_floyd_combin.aspx. Retrieved 2010-04-09.
- ↑ Werde, Bill (13 May 2006), Floyd's 'Dark Side' Celebrates Chart Milestone, Billboard, p. 12, https://books.google.com/?id=4xUEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA12, retrieved 17 March 2009
- ↑ Top 100 Albums, riaa.com, https://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?table=tblTop100, retrieved 17 March 2009
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Billboard records, billboard.com, http://www.billboard.com/features/the-longest-music-moments-ever-1005242202.story#/features/the-longest-music-moments-ever-1005242202.story, retrieved 31 August 2011
- ↑ Basham, David (15 November 2001), Got Charts? Britney, Linkin Park Give Peers A Run For Their Sales Figures, mtv.com, http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1450989/20011115/spears_britney.jhtml, retrieved 30 March 2009
- ↑ (PDF) Best Selling UK Albums of All Time, bpi.co.uk, http://www.bpi.co.uk/assets/files/top%2040%20albums.pdf, retrieved 15 August 2009