kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
The design, was to be built in Chicago, would have included 528 stories, with an area of 18,460,000 square feet (1,715,000 m2). Wright said that there would be parking for 15,000 cars and 150 helicopters.
Had it been built, it would have been the tallest building in the world by far, being more than four times the height of the then tallest building in the world, the Empire State Building, and it would be nearly twice as tall as the world's current tallest building, the Burj Khalifa.
The building is one of the visionary buildings meant to be an alternative to the increasing urban sprawl occurring in most cities. None of these has ever been viewed as financially feasible.
- Wright, Frank Lloyd (1957). A Testament. New York, New York: Horizon Press. pp. 239, 240, and unnumbered foldout following.
- Burj Dubai & The Illinois Comparison
- Dubai Debt: What the Burj Kahlifa—the tallest building in the world—owes to Frank Lloyd Wright., By Witold Rybczynski, Slate.com, Jan 13, 2010
- Wright information page
- Italian page on the Illinois
- Qualcomm Stadium renovation in San Diego may include Illinois-like supertall
- Details several tall building designs, including The Illinois
- Drawing of The Illinois at Skyscraperpage.com