kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:web images videos games
A trident // is a three-pronged spear. It is used for spearfishing. Historically it was used as a polearm. Gladiators used them in Ancient Rome after they cast a net to trap their opponent. The trident is the weapon of Poseidon, or Neptune, the god of the sea in classical mythology. In Hindu mythology it is the weapon of Shiva, known as trishula (Sanskrit for "triple-spear"). The word "trident" comes from the French word trident, which in turn comes from the Latin word tridens.
- S.L. Hamilton, Spearfishing (Minneapolis, MN: Abdo Publishing, 2015), p. 8
- "What is a Trident?". Conjecture Corporation. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-trident.htm. Retrieved 8 November 2016.
- "Poseidon". GreekMythology.com. http://www.greekmythology.com/Olympians/Poseidon/poseidon.html. Retrieved 8 November 2016.
- "Shaivite Hindu Symbols: The Trishula". Western Hindu. https://western-hindu.org/2009/10/14/shaivite-hindu-symbols-the-trishula/. Retrieved 8 November 2016.
- "trident". Farlex. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/trident. Retrieved 8 November 2016.