kidzsearch.com > wiki
University of Arizona
|University of Arizona|
|Latin: Universitas Arizonensis|
|Motto||"Bear Down, Arizona"|
|Type||Public flagship research university|
|Endowment||$665.4 million (2014)|
|President||Ann Weaver Hart |
|Academic staff||3,049 (2014) |
|Doctoral students||1,508 (2014)|
|Location||Tucson, Arizona, United States|
|Campus||Urban, 380 acres (1.5 km2) (1,253,500 m²)|
|Newspaper||Arizona Daily Wildcat|
|Colors||UA Red and Arizona Blue|
|Athletics||18 varsity teams|
Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF)
|University of Arizona logo.svg|
The school began in 1885. It was the first university in the Arizona Territory. The school also includes the Banner – University Medical Center Tucson. This is a four-year M.D. college in downtown Phoenix.
The mission of the University of Arizona is, "To improve the prospects and enrich the lives of the people of Arizona and the world through education, research, creative expression, and community and business partnerships."
The sports teams are nicknamed the Arizona Wildcats (often shortened to "Cats"). They got the name from a 1914 football game with the California champions at the time, Occidental College. The Los Angeles Times said that, "the Arizona men showed the fight of wildcats." Sports are a big part of campus life at the school and they get a large amount of money to operate the programs.
They are members of the Pacific-12 Conference in the NCAA, which they joined in 1978. The Wildcats have won national titles in several sports, most notably men's basketball, baseball, and softball. The official colors of the university and its athletic teams are UA Red and Arizona Blue.
- It's music to Wildcat alumni's ears. 4 November 2005. Archived from the original on 2006-09-12. https://web.archive.org/web/20060912092852/http://wc.arizona.edu/papers/98/214/01_8.html. Retrieved 17 October 2015. "'Bear Down, Arizona' has become the school's motto and second fight song since the death of the man who first uttered the words 'bear down' in 1926.".
- "Ann Weaver Hart confirmed as new University of Arizona president - Phoenix Business Journal". Bizjournals.com. 17 February 2012. http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2012/02/17/ann-weaver-hart-confirmed-as-new.html. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Employee Headcounts". 2013-2014 Factbook. University of Arizona. 2013. http://factbook.arizona.edu/2013-14/employees.
- "Quick Reference". 2013-2014 Factbook. University of Arizona. 2013. http://factbook.arizona.edu/2013-14/at_a_glance. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Brand - University of Arizona". University of Arizona. https://brand.arizona.edu/guide/color. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Stephanie Innes. "University of Arizona Medical Center changing its name — again". Arizona Daily Star. http://m.tucson.com/news/blogs/health/university-of-arizona-medical-center-changing-its-name-again/article_7b146028-a0ca-11e4-83d7-772a9404d437.html?mobile_touch=true.
- "Mission Statement". University of Arizona. http://neversettle.arizona.edu/#url=mission. Retrieved 10 April 2015.
- "The McKale Era – Building an Athletic Tradition". UA History. Arizona Board of Regents. 2005. Archived from the original on July 10, 2007. https://web.archive.org/web/20070701032943/http://www.arizona.edu/tours/history/history8.php. Retrieved 17 October 2015.