kidzsearch.com > wiki
Sir William Deane
|22nd Governor-General of Australia|
16 February 1996 – 29 June 2001
|Prime Minister||Paul Keating |
|Preceded by||Bill Hayden|
|Succeeded by||Peter Hollingworth|
|Justice of the High Court of Australia|
25 June 1982 – 11 November 1995
|Nominated by||Malcolm Fraser|
|Preceded by||Ninian Stephen|
|Succeeded by||Michael Kirby|
|Born||4 January 1931|
|Alma mater||University of Sydney|
Sir William Patrick Deane (born 4 January 1931) is an Australian lawyer and judge. He served as the 22nd Governor-General of Australia, in office from 1996 to 2001. He was appointed to the Supreme Court of New South Wales in 1977, and later that year was also appointed to the Federal Court of Australia. He was a Justice of the High Court of Australia from 1982 to 1995.
Deane was appointed a Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE) on 10 August 1982, a few weeks after being appointed to the High Court.
- "2001 Sir William Deane AC KBE". Sydney Peace Foundation. 2001. http://sydneypeacefoundation.org.au/peace-prize-recipients/2001-sir-william-deane-ac-kbe/. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- PM agrees to allow GG to open the Olympics, Australian Broadcasting Corporation, 11 November 1999
- Howard explains Olympics backflip, Australian Broadcasting Corporation, 11 November 1999
- Governor General of Australia – Official biography of Sir William Deane and Lady Deane, published by Government House, Canberra.
- A Mirror to the People, documentary film on the Office of Governor-General of Australia (1999), featuring Deane, Zelman Cowen and Ninian Stephen.
- High Court biography Retrieved 20 August 2014.