kidzsearch.com > wiki Explore:images videos games
The Wulfila Bible (or Gothic Bible) is a translation of parts of the Bible into the Gothic language. It was done by a Christian Bishop, called Wulfila, in the 3rd century. It contains mainly a translation of the New Testament. The basis for the translation was a Greek version of the Bible. Up till then, the Goths had used runes to write. This was impractical, though. For this reason Wulfila also invented the Gothic alphabet. The Gothic alphabet is based on the Greek one.
Many copies of parts of the text still exist today. Most of them are from the 6th to 8th century. The Wulfila bible is the oldest written text of a Germanic language. It is very important for research.
Text of The Lord's Prayer in the Wulfilabible
þ is pronounced like the English th in the.
- atta unsar þu ïn himina
- weihnai namo þein
- qimai þiudi nassus þeins
- wairþai wilja þeins
- swe ïn himina jah ana airþai
- hlaif unsarana þana sin teinan gif uns himma daga
- jah aflet uns þatei skulans sijai ma
- swaswe jah weis afletam þai skulam unsaraim
- jah ni brig gais uns ïn fraistubnjai
- ak lau sei uns af þamma ubilin
- unte þeina ïst þiudangardi
- jah mahs jah wulþus ïn aiwins