kidzsearch.com > wiki
KidzSearch Safe Wikipedia for Kids.
|Centuries:||12th century – 13th century – 14th century|
|Decades:||1250s 1260s 1270s – 1280s – 1290s 1300s 1310s|
|Years:||1282 1283 1284 – 1285 – 1286 1287 1288|
- January 6 – Archbishop Jakub Świnka orders all priests subject to his bishopry in Poland to deliver sermons in Polish rather than German, thus further unifying the Catholic Church in Poland and fostering a national identity.
- April 25 – Mamluk sultan Qalawun begins a siege of the Crusader fortress of Margat (in present-day Syria), a major stronghold of the Knights Hospitaller thought to be impregnable; he captures the fortress a month later.
- September 4 – Roger of Lauria defeats King Philip III of France in a naval battle off of Barcelona.
- The writ Circumspecte Agatis, issued by King Edward I of England, defines the jurisdictions of church and state in England, thereby limiting the church's judicial powers to ecclesiastical cases only.
- The Second statute of Westminster is passed in England, reforming various laws; it includes the famous clause de donis conditionalibus, considered one of the fundamental institutes of medieval law in England.
- The English romantic poem The Lay of Havelok the Dane is written (approximate date).
- Tran Hung Dao leads Vietnamese forces in victory over an invading Yuan dynasty Mongol army.